Thursday, April 18, 2019


Troop 167 News

Event date: 9/15/2017 3:30 PM - 9/17/2017 3:30 PM Export event
David Madison
/ Categories: Camping

Ft. George 2017

Information about our trip

For our September, 2017 camping experience, the Patrol Leader's Council of Troop 167 has elected to go to Ft. George, Canada for the Scout Brigade of Ft. George's annual re-enactment of the War of 1812.

When: September 15th - 17th
Departing: 5pm Friday
Returning: 3pm Sunday (This will depend on the driver as some Scouts need to return early.)

Cost: $60.00 - This includes the fees for the weekend and meals.  The meals are catered by the Scout Brigade of Canada.
DUE:  9/11/2018 w/Permission forms

While traveling, Scouts and Adult Leaders are to be in their Boy Scout Uniform.
While at Ft. George, Scouts and Adults who wish, will be wearing the troop's 1812 6th Infantry Uniforms

Uniform Pickup
Uniforms will be handed out at our first troop meeting on September 11, 2017 before the meeting starts between 6:30pm and 6:50pm.

Crossing the Border and Returning Home
For the Scouts: To be able to bring your Scout into Canada and back home again, the Scout will need the following:
1. Copy of Birth Certificate
2. Border Crossing permission form (Signed by both parents).  Recommend notarization. See attached.
3. Wearing Class A Uniform.

For more information, please read below.

We have 8 adults going (7 vehicles).  Some of the drivers will be returning to Pittsford early. Madison and Kuppinger.  We'll need to work out how Big Gus and gear will get home.

A couple adults need to return to Pittsford early.  Mr. Kuppinger will be returning Saturday Evening and Mr. Madison must leave first thing Sunday Morning.  Are there others who need to return early?  Please let Mr. Madison know so we can make arrangements.  At least 3 other Scouts will need to return with Mr. Madison early Sunday morning.

We will be pitching tents in the Ft. George Commons.  Please bring appropriate sleeping gear for tents like sleeping bag, ground pad, pillow.

Please bring a bag lunch for Friday evening meal.
Saturday Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Sunday Breakfast will be provided
Snacks - you may bring snacks
Please bring cash to purchase you 

Extra Cash
There are a couple opportunities for Scouts to purchase things.  Saturday afternoon, after the parade down Main Street, Nigara on the Lake, the Scouts will be able to visit the shops of Niagara on the Lake.  Snacks, ice cream, souvenirs, etc are all possibilities and up to the Scout (and parent) as to what is appropriate amount to bring.  Saturday night, there is typically a candy tent/souvenir tent for Scouts to partake.  Sunday, on the way home, drivers may stop for snack/lunch.  It is always nice for the Scout to offer to pitch in some money for cash to their driver. 




ADULT LEADERS – Anyone over 18 who is a U.S. citizen returning home from Canada by land or sea is required to present either a U.S. Passport, a U.S. Passport Card, or an Enhanced Driver’s License.

U.S. Passport – This is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport Card – This is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) – Several states and Canadian provinces/territories are issuing this driver’s license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

CUBS, SCOUTS, AND VENTURERS UNDER 19: U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 19 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory and traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.  (It has been confirmed that a Scout group qualifies as a “social or cultural organization.”)

The group should be prepared to present a letter on organizational letterhead with the following information:

  • The name of the group and supervising adult;
  • A list of the children on the trip, and the primary address, phone number, date of birth, place of birth, and name of at least one parent or legal guardian for each child; and
  • A written and signed statement of the supervising adult certifying that he or she has obtained parental or legal guardian consent for each participating child.

Cubs, Scouts, and Venturers who are under 18 need a YOUTH PERMISSION FORM (See below.).  If your group is traveling in several vehicles, the paperwork for each person must be in the vehicle that person is riding in.  Make sure that your Scouts are in uniform when they cross the border and polite during the border crossing.

YOUTH PERMISSION FORM– The Canadian Government recommends on their web site:

  • That a consent document or letter be carried to prove that the child has the permission of the absent lawful parent(s) or guardian to travel. This document should be specific to each trip and should include contact information for the parent(s) or guardian. A sample consent letterExternal Linkis provided for parents to use as a model to draft their own consent letter.
  • It is strongly recommended that children carry a consent letter for each and every trip abroad. Although anyone can witness/sign these letters, it is advisable to have the consent letter certified, stamped or sealed by an official who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration (ie. a commissioner for oaths, notary public, lawyer, etc.) so that the validity of the letter will not be questioned. It is up to each official/individual who witnesses such a letter to decide what proof he/she needs to see to be able to witness/sign the letter. Officials should only witness/sign a letter of consent if he/she is convinced that the individual requesting the letter is who he/she claims to be and that adequate proof has been provided.
  • This consent document could be required even if the separation or divorce documents award custody of the child to the accompanying parent, but the non-custodial parent has legal access or visiting rights to the child.
  • In addition to the certified consent document from the absent parent, a copy of any separation, divorce or custody decree might be requested.
  • A child of divorced or separated parents who is traveling without either parent could use either one consent document signed by both parents or two separate documents.
  • If a legal guardian is accompanying the child, then a copy of the court order granting guardianship might also be requested.
  • If only one parent’s name appears on the birth certificate, and the child is traveling with the other parent, then we also recommend that a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate be carried.
  • If one parent has died, a certified copy of the death certificate could also be carried.

Remember that customs officers, as well as other authorities, inside and outside Canada are looking for missing children and may ask questions. Make sure you carry the proper identification for yourself and any children traveling with you. In addition to passports, proper identification could include, but is not limited to, birth certificates, citizenship cards, landed immigrant records and certificates of Indian status.


231 Rate this article:
No rating

Please login or register to post comments.



Feel free to contact us and find out more about our troop.